Articles: Political Hors D'œuvre
04 April 2002
"We should encourage self-organised communities. One way to facilitate this is to revamp the Societies Act to one of self-regulation .. the right to speak up is fundamental to an open society."
- Minister of State Raymond Lim, Straits Times, Apr 4 2002. Mr Lim's brother is Benny Lim, director of the Internal Security Department
"Cynicism and skepticism arise when the government does not do what it says. But this is a government that does exactly what it says."
- PM Goh Chok Tong, Straits Times, Apr 6 2002
02 April 2002
"... a pupil is streamed between eight and nine, and nine and 10. At this stage of their development, their intellect has not developed fully yet ... so I think the age at which streaming takes place should be reviewed."
- PAP MP Dr Ong Seh Hong, Straits Times, Apr 2, 2002
"Cognitive developments in humans does not follow a regimented schedule. The rate of development varies from individual to individual. A child showing less academic ability during the formative years is thus not necessarily less capable ... it is grave mistake to administer an examination to cultivate the 'intelligence' of children and then stream them according to their abilities as though we know everything about their cognitive abilities by the age of 10 years."
- Dr Chee Soon Juan, 'Your Future, My Faith, Our Freedom', published in 2001
01 April 2002
"Singapore is not a hotel. It is a home, it is our home. Greater partcipation and involvement by Singaporeans will undoubtedly give them a greater sense of ownership."
- PAP MP for Holland-Bukit Panjang GRC, Gan Kim Yong in his maiden Parliamentary speech on April 1st 2002
"Singapore must be a home to Singaporeans, not a hotel. For it to be a home, Singaporeans must be given a say in how the country is run."
- Dr Chee Soon Juan, in his book "Dare To Change" which was first published in 1994
01 April 2002
"I ignore polling as a method of government. I think that shows a certain weakness of mind - an inability to chart a course whichever way the wind blows, whichever way the media encourages the people to go, you follow. You are not a leader."
- Mr Lee Kuan Yew, Success Stories, 2002
"If I were in authority in Singapore indefinitely without having to ask those who are governed whether they like what is being done, then I would not have the slightest doubt that I could govern much more effectively in their interests."
- Mr Lee Kuan Yew, 1962
22 March 2002
"The Singapore government and the Singapore Embassy, together with all other foreign governments and diplomatic missions, enjoy state and diplomatic immunity from legal processes."
- Statement by the Foreign Ministry on Indonesian Muslim cleric Abu Bakar's $180m slander suit against the Singapore government over remarks made by Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew