Mr. Anthony NG Kin Hian
Commander ‘D’ Div
20 Clementi Avenue 5
DEMAND FOR RETURN OF MY SEIZED COMPUTER SYSTEM
1. My name is Robert HO Chong, NRIC S0197974D.
2. I was arrested by your officers on Sun 27 Feb 05 around 4pm at home, for earlier distributing about 20 copies to about 20 shops at WestMall (of a document I had photocopied in WestMall Shopping Mall).
3. This document, is a personal testimony I gave to the Alliance for Reform and Democracy in Asia (ARDA) chaired by Dr Chee Soon Juan in a forum on Elections in Singapore conducted by an International Study Mission. This 6-page testimony raised questions about the counting process in the 1997 General Election in Cheng San GRC.
4. The next day, Mon 28 Feb 05, your officers came to my condo apartment in Guilin View to seize my entire computer system including my multifunction printer-scanner-copier leaving only the speakers. The seized system cost about $6,500 when new. It is still worth considerably now.
5. I was taken straight from your police cell to the Institute of Mental Health for a medical consideration. I was ordered released by the doctors on Fri 11 Mar 05 but held back on the orders of your officer until 15 Mar 05 when I was finally released.
6. I was not charged. I cannot be charged because if so, my testimony will become public in court.
7. Your Senior Investigation Officer, Mr Prabakar, phoned my wife that my seized computer system would be returned if I ‘gave no further mischief’ or words to that effect.
8. This is now Mon 6 Jun 05. I need all my data in my computer as well as all my software applications to continue with my life. A computer is not just a device. It is an encyclopaedia, a dictionary, a music system, a medical reference source, a gaming device, an endless source of news, a means to perform banking operations and pay bills, and above all, it, through email, keeps me in touch with family and friends as well as make business enquiries and perform transactions.
9. I now ask you to return my seized computer system as soon as possible.