Singapore to ramp up its water supply

Zakaria Abdul Wahab

Singapore plans to triple the current reclaimed water (NEWater) capacity to meet 50 per cent of its demand by 2060.

The island republic also plans to ramp up desalination capacity by almost 10 times so that desalinated water will meet at least 30 per cent of its water demand in the long term.

These long-term plans were contained in a publication produced by PUB, the national water agency, and unveiled by Singapore Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean at the opening of the Singapore International Water Week, the global platform for water solutions, here Monday.

PUB expects Singapore’s water demand to double in the next 50 years, with about 70 per cent of the demand coming from the non-domestic sector, and domestic consumption making up the other 30 per cent.

The city-state currently sources its water from local catchment, imported water, high grade reclaimed water and desalinated water.

Teo said, despite its limited land area of 710 sq km, Singapore planned to collect every drop of rain, and with the latest three reservoirs at Marina, Punggol and Serangoon, two-thirds of the country would become a huge water catchment.

He added that Singapore, with a population of over four million, aimed to expand its water catchment area to 90 per cent of its land eventually.

Today, each Singaporean uses 155 litres of water daily on average.

%d bloggers like this: