The SDP has drawn up comprehensivepolicies which address the concerns and worries of our fellowSingaporeans. We look forward to putting our policies before thevoters of Punggol East and give Singaporeans a chance to vote for analternative to the PAP. These policies are:$CUT$
1. To introduce the Singaporeans First policy where Singaporeans are given priority in employment and to stop the 6.5 million population target (see Singaporeans Come First, the full policy paper will be published soon),
2. To scrap the 3M (Medisave, Medishield, and Medifund) system and introduce a National Health Investment Fund in order to make our healthcare system non-profit making and affordable for everyone (see The SDP National Healthcare Plan: Caring For All Singporeans),
3. To introduce Non-Open Market flats to make HDB prices affordable for our people (see Housing A Nation: Holistic Policies For Affordable Homes),
4. To peg ministerial salaries to the wages of the lowest 20 percent income earners (see Ethical Salaries For A Public Service Centered Government), and
5. To re-prioritize our Budget so as to increase investment in our children’s education, SMEs and the needy (see Shadow Budget 2012: Securing Our Future).
We are building a competent andconstructive opposition party and we would like to offer a new typeof opposition politics to the voters.
We look forward to bringing up thesealternatives in Parliament and engaging the PAP in meaningful andsubstantive debates. We are keen to put our policies before thevoters of Punggol East and give Singaporeans a chance to vote for analternative to the PAP.
For the first time, an opposition partyhas proposed alternative policies that focus on the people’s realneeds. We hope our participation in this by-election will help tobring about a maturing of our country’s politics. The SDP’sparticipation will allow the by-election to focus on the people’sconcerns and policies that will address them.
In the past several years andespecially since the 2011 General Elections, we have been building upour party machinery and know-how in campaigning. Our ranks have grownand resources have expanded.
We are confident in bringing ourcampaign to Punggol East and communicating our message to our votersthere. We will start work immediately and we will concentrate ourresources on the constituency in the lead up to the election.
We also have a slate of qualified andcredible candidates whom we can field. Whoever is selected willserve the residents of Punggol East with competence, commitment andcompassion. We will decide on the candidate in due course.
In summary, we would like to offer thevoters of Punggol East the policies, capabilities and candidate whowould best serve them as their representative in Parliament.